The United States has surpassed over 100,000 deaths due to COVID-19 and the poverty rate is expected to rise dramatically to 13.3% of Americans unemployed. While the House passed the H.R.6800, the Health and Economic Recovery Omnibus Emergency Solutions (HEROES) Act, a bill that would address many challenges faced by families and vulnerable communities, consideration for a next stimulus package has been stalled in the Senate. We urge the Senate to ensure these provisions approved by the House in its HEROES Act are included in the next COVID-19 relief package before the July 4 recess:
Ensure access to food:
- Increase SNAP’s maximum benefit by 15 percent from June 1, 2020, through September 30, 2021
- An increase for all SNAP households averaging about $25 per person per month
- Raise the minimum SNAP benefit from $15 per month to $30.
- Access to free COVID-19 testing and treatment by uninsured people, regardless of their immigration status.
- Immigrant taxpayers receive stimulus checks from previous relief bills.
- An extension of work permits and protection from deportation for immigrants
Ensure safe voting access:
- Allocate $3.6 billion for protective equipment and supplies needed to manage the 2020 elections, and protect voters’ and poll workers’ health.
We need your voice: Tell the Senate to provide relief to families impacted by COVID-19.
Check if your Senator supports this bill. Call your Senator if they have not supported the bill (call 202-224-3121).
Sample Call Script:
Hi, my name is ________ and I am your constituent calling to urge you to ensure these provisions in H.R. 6800 are included in the next COVID-19 package: ensure access to food, safe voting access, and ensure immigrants are included to receive relief. I urge Senator _____ to support these provisions of the bill and to include them in the next COVID-19 relief package before the July 4th recess. Will the Senator do so?
Let us know how your advocacy went and feel free to ask us any questions by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.