Take Action: May 8th-15th
Although the AHCA already passed the House, it will most likely return after the Senate makes changes. This means, you need to call your House Reps and Senators and make your voice heard.
Sample script: Hi, my name is _______ and I’m a constituent of Congressman/Senator ___________. I’m calling to express my concern about the new healthcare bill. [Short personal anecdote about your healthcare experience/concern if applicable]. According to the Congressional Budget Office, TrumpCare will result in millions of Americans losing their healthcare, paying higher premiums, and receiving worse coverage. It also gives a major tax cut to the wealthiest Americans as well as insurance and drug companies. This is unacceptable. Will the representative oppose this legislation?
Additional scripts available here.
Especially vulnerable Republican House members who voted for the AHCA are:
- Rep. Issa (R-CA-49.)
- Rep. Curbelo (R-FL-26.)
- Rep. Kinzinger (R-IL-16.)
- Rep. Denham (R-CA-10)
- Rep. Valadao (R-CA-21)
- Rep. Amodei (R-NV-02),
- Rep. Faso (R-NY-19)
- Rep. Brian Mast (R-FL-18)
Muslim Community Week of Resistance: May 8-15th
Raise awareness and continue the resistance against the Muslim and refugee bans. Make sure that the courts and the country hear the voices of affected communities and allies.
Poligon is co-sponsoring a press conference outside the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals courtroom during the May 8th hearing. Follow on Twitterand Facebook around 1:15 PM EST. We’ll use hashtag #NoMuslimBanEver.
- Pack the courtroom or hold a rally outside in Virginia (May 8) or Seattle area (May 15).
- Hold peaceful and supportive gatherings in front of federal courthouses on May 8th and May 15th in other parts of the country.
- Hold a discussion at your local place of worship, campus, or community center. Invite local community activists and organizations to speak about the impact of the Muslim and refugee bans.
- Organize events at airports to welcome immigrants and refugees: Airport protests around the country paved the way for opposition to the Muslim and refugee bans. Collaborate on an action with local groups that are organizing at airports.
- Join Twitter Town Halls on May 9th and May 15th at 2PM EST/11AM PST using #NoMuslimBanEver to raise awareness online.