Salaam, and welcome to our October 2020 newsletter! Here’s what we were up to this month:
Are You Ready To Vote?
With November 3rd fast approaching, do you have all the information you need to cast your ballot? Poligon has put together resources to help you find out your registration status, ballot drop off locations, and in-person polling locations. We even have a faith-based civic engagement guide for faith leaders and community members. Check them out here!
To continue these efforts, we need your help! Can you donate $20, $50, or $100 today to help Poligon turn out more Muslim voters before November?
Welcoming Our New Policy & Advocacy Manager!
A huge welcome to Johanna Mustafa, our new Policy and Advocacy Manager! Johanna brings years of experience in national and grassroots advocacy and organizing work with the American Muslim community. Before joining the Poligon team, Johanna served as an Advocacy Specialist for the National Network of Arab American Communities. We are excited to have Johanna join us in our efforts to amplify the voices of Muslim Americans in Congress!
SCOTUS Nomination Facebook Live UpdatePoligon’s Legislative Fellow, Zayn Hasan, went on Facebook Live on Wednesday, October 21st, to discuss various hill updates, Amy Coney Barrett’s Supreme Court Nomination process, October Congressional recess, and voting resources! Click here to watch.
Poligon Applauds Muslim Civic Engagement Progress Highlighted in ISPU 2020 Muslim Poll
The Institute for Social Policy and Understanding (ISPU) released it’s fifth annual American Muslim Poll 2020: Amid Pandemic and Protest. The survey found that compared to members of other faith groups, Muslim political activity exceeds the general public, Muslim voter registration has increased, and nearly one-quarter of Muslims have attended a town hall meeting, which is much higher than other faith groups. Click here to read our full statement.
In The News
On October 30th, Poligon’s President, Wardah Khalid, participated in a live Q & A hosted by Vantage Points. The livestream discussed how Poligon’s work is critical in helping the Muslim community engage with Congress. Check out the interview here.
- Urge the Next President & Congress to Ensure a Democracy That Works for All: It’s no secret that U.S. elections are driven by big corporate donors rather than everyday citizens. And the next presidential administration is tasked with addressing important issues that impact our communities, such as: repealing the Muslim ban, overcoming the coronavirus pandemic, and dismantling systemic racism in America. But for the next administration to do that effectively, our democracy needs reform to be more representative and inclusive. We urge the next President and Congress to pass the For the People Act (HR1) as the priority in their administration. Click here to learn more and sign your name to show the next administration and Congress that Day 1 is for Democracy.
- October Recess: The House of Representatives adjourned for their recess until November 13th. Congressional recess is when your members of Congress will be back in your home state. It is a great opportunity to call or email your Congress members directly to tell them about the most important issues to you! Click here to view our October Recess Action Alert for more information.
We’ve been keeping you up-to-date on the latest from Capitol Hill with our Hill Happenings going straight to your inboxes every Friday.
- October 2, 2020: House Approves $2.2T COVID-19 Relief Bill
- October 9, 2020: President Trump Brings COVID-19 Relief
- October 16, 2020: Senate Committee to Vote on Supreme Court Nomination
- October 23, 2020: Senate to Vote to Confirm Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court
- October 30, 2020: Senate Confirmed Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court
Join Our Board of Directors
Poligon is seeking passionate individuals to join our Board of Directors! If you are interested in helping educate American Muslims on engaging with Congress and being politically active, this is the position for you! Please send a resume and short statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Poligon Is Hiring!
Poligon is hiring! We are looking for talented individuals interested in congressional advocacy and issues facing the Muslim American community. Click here for more information on the positions and how to apply!