Tell your Senators to Oppose H.R. 1
The Senate is voting this week on a tax bill that will cause enormous harm to most Americans. We don’t have a lot of time to stop this massive bill – Congressional leaders want it on President Trump’s desk as soon as possible.
This tax bill is fundamentally flawed beyond repair – in three big ways:
- It is regressive, giving giant tax cuts to large corporations and the wealthiest households while raising taxes on everyone else. By the time it is fully enacted, all households earning less than $75,000 will see a tax increase. Those with incomes between $20,000 and $30,000 will face a tax hike of 25 percent! At least 70% of American Muslims could see their taxes increase under this plan.
- It is irresponsible, growing deficits by at least $1.5 trillion over the next decade. This will put enormous pressure on Congress to cut essential programs,such as Medicare, Medicaid, housing assistance, college financial aid, and more. The plan could also immediately undermine tax breaks for state and local taxes, charitable donations, and interest payments on student loans.
- It threatens health coverage for millions. By repealing the individual mandate to have health insurance, Congressional leaders get hundreds of billions in savings to pay for corporate tax cuts. But as a result, 13 million people will become uninsured and millions of people will see significant premium increases.
What You Can Do Now
Your voice can make a powerful difference in the outcome of this legislation. We have to stop this bill’s momentum. Only a strong outcry from constituents like you can achieve that.
Call Congress Today:
Click here to find your Senators and call their offices today. Or just call 1-888-885-1748.
Sample Calling Script:
Hi, my name is _______ and I’m a constituent of Senator ___________. I’m calling to express my opposition to the tax reform plan being voted on this week, H.R. 1. [Short personal anecdote about how your taxes would be negatively impacted, if applicable]. According to the Congressional Budget Office, this plan will raise taxes on many Americans to pay for tax breaks for corporations and the wealthy. This is unacceptable. Will Senator ___________ oppose this legislation?
Use Social Media:
Let your members of Congress and your social networks know what you think of this bill. Here are some sample tweets:
- Did you know? At least 70% of American Muslims could see their taxes increase under the #GOPTaxPlan being voted on this week #Faith4TaxJustice
- The #GOPTaxPlan goes against values of fairness, fiscal discipline, and our moral responsibility to care for the vulnerable #Faith4TaxJustice
- The #GOPTaxPlan would add $1.5+ trillion to the deficit, threatening funding for healthcare, food and nutrition, housing, education, and much more. #Faith4TaxJustice
Let us know how your calls went and feel free to ask us any questions by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Afif, Nadia, Ayesha, and Wardah